SOMA Drawing Center Drawing Competition
2.Hosted by ·
Korea Sports Promotion Foundation (KSPO)·SOMA
Any talented artist from any age group that creates using drawing, in accordance with the drawing philosophies of the SOMA Drawing Center
Scope of Accepted
- Traditional drawings (sketches, esquisse, marquette, etc.)
- All genres (painting, sculpture, objet, photography, imaging, installations, etc.) are accepted if the work shows the extended meaning of contemporary drawing (a work with powerful linear elements, or a work highlighting the basic elements of creation, such as ideas, processes, and an experimental spirit).
What is drawing, according to the SOMA Drawing Center?
- Creative work focusing on the 'process of drawing rather than the result,’ 'imagination rather than concrete concepts,' and 'experimentation rather than completion'
- Interdisciplinary concept that includes all genres but does not distinguish between genres
- All products of physically and spiritually creative activity, ranging from incomplete ideas to completed works
Document review (application form, resume, portfolio)
- Artists will be chosen based on their entries and registered at the center. Select registered artists will be accepted for the 2nd round of screening.
Interviews (presentations, viewing of actual work)
- The exhibitions of selected artists will then be supported by SOMA.
Artists selected from the 1st round of screening
Registered at the SOMA Drawing Center
Artists selected from the 2nd round of screening
SOMA support for the holding of an individual exhibition
- Selected artists will be invited to hold an individual exhibition at the SOMA Drawing Center.
· All exhibition costs, such as partial costs for work production and promotion, exhibition hall arrangement, and production of printing materials will be provided by the SOMA Drawing Center.
4.How to Apply
Materials to Submit
Application form (prescribed form)
The form can be downloaded from the SOMA website (soma.kspo.or.kr).
Detailed profile, including academic background and professional career
Photographic images of actual artwork, work processes, exhibition installations, plus accompanying texts describing each artwork.
Project Description (Optional)
Project description provided by the artist
- All data must be submitted in 2 forms: printouts (A4 size or less) and CD or USB.
- Accompanying texts must be prepared using Hangul Word Processor, MS Word, or PowerPoint.
- Each artist may submit up to 20 images; the size of each image file may only be 3MB or less.
- Captions (title, size, material, year of production) must be included for each work.
- If any required document (application, resume, portfolio) is omitted, the applicant may be excluded from the screening process.
Submit in Person or by Mail
- Reception Desk: SOMA Office
- Mailing Address: 424 Olympic-ro (88-2 Bangi-dong), Songpa-gu, Seoul, Korea (05540)
- Please write on your envelope 'Application for Drawing Competition.'
- Materials submitted by post must be sent by registered mail. Only mail that arrives before the deadline will be accepted.
After the announcement of the final results, non-selected materials will be returned (pick up only; materials will not be mailed).
※ Exact competition dates and deadlines are posted on the SOMA website in August every year.